Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Heart E-Mart

There are few places to find foreign goods in Seoul: the Foreign Food Mart in Itaewon (a glorified Middle Eastern grocery store), Homeplus (think Korean Walmart), Costco (the same as in the states, but different) and E-Mart (Korean Target). To know which one to go to for which item takes time. Lucky for me, I've been scouring Seoul's markets for a year now; so when my craving for whole wheat bagels and cream cheese hit late Monday afternoon, I knew my only option was E-Mart.

To my great surprise, I discovered smoked salmon in the fish section. Then, capers. And beautiful cherry tomatoes for 2,000 won. I hadn't had lox and bagel since I paid $15 for it at a New York brunch restaurant in Itaewon months ago. It was time.

Crunchy warm bagel, rich cream cheese, delicate peppered salmon, juicy tomatoes, salty capers...I was making sounds that should never come from a kitchen...that is, when you share the kitchen with three roommates.

I should warn them that I bought three packages of salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment